A guided walk around Graig/Maesycoed lasting about 1.5 hours.
These districts saw some of the earliest industrial development in the town. John Calvert's Newbridge Colliery opened here in 1844 and coal mining continued in the locality until the Maritime Colliery closed in 1961. The walk will highlight this industrial legacy and illustrate how it fostered a close-knit and distinctive community in the Graig.
The rapid population growth which industry brought also caused social problems, and the walk will recall tales of the town's workhouse which opened on the Graig in 1865.
Places on the walk will be limited to 20. To book a place please call Pontypridd Museum on 01443 490748.
The walk will start from the main entrance to Pontypridd Railway Station at 11am.
Pontypridd Railway Station is at the southern end of the town on the Broadway. The town's bus station is at the opposite end of town about 10 minutes walk away along Taff Street.
The route will follow pavements and footpaths but, due to the hilly nature of the Graig, it will necessarily have to cover some short, steep inclines, but these will be done at a leisurely pace. Comfortable footwear with good tread on the soles is recommended.