View Larger Map
« Back

Lady of Penrhys

About

The Lady of Penrhys is situated at one of the most terrific viewpoints of the region, giving splendid views over the Rhondda Valleys.

In 13th century, the Cistercian Monks from Llantarnam Abbey in Monmouthshire built themselves a Grange at Penrhys where some of them lived a simple agricultural life. The story goes that one of them, whilst working in the fields, discovered a highly-ornate statue of the Holy Mother. The monks built a chapel and shrine to house the statue and Penrhys soon became a centre of devotion and the centre for vast numbers of pilgrims who came to pay homage and to be healed. The present statue was erected in 1953.

The "well", a focus of pilgrimage, is in fact a natural spring rising on the western slope below the chapel to which have been attributed healing powers. You can read more the annual pilgrimage by going to the Cistercian-Way website www.cistercianway.wales/)

Facilities

  • Outdoor Attraction
  • Parking (free)